What I've been reading

I've been on a reading kick this year. I originally hoped to read 25 books in the year, and I'm already through 22 of my goal, so I'm thinking I'll get a little farther than I anticipated.

Which is a good thing! a great thing! But now I'm looking for more inspiration, so I've taken to blogs and Goodreads and anywhere I can think of for book recommendations. I'll give you what's next on my list, but first how about what I've finished now?

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Okay, after hearing the hype on this one for months on end, and now finally having read it, I can understand why it was hyped up. So cute. So original. Succinct and romantic and realistic and everything you'd want in a not-too-deep novel.

As an aside: can I say how much I've really been enjoying Australian authors recently? Between Simsion and Liane Moriarty, I'm thinking I need to go on a hunt for more Australian authors to devour.

Rating: B+







http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Book/dp/0545139708/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436802983&sr=1-1&keywords=harry+potter+and+the+deathly+hallows&pebp=1436802985026&perid=1DN88DMQDHYM3ZHH2R5Y
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

I probably have mentioned it before, but earlier this year I set about re-reading the entirety of the Harry Potter series. It had been quite awhile since I'd done it last, and total I think I'd only read the last one maybe 3 times since it came out, so I was due for a rerun. It did not disappoint. Although some may not qualify it as "great literature," I get something new out of reading Harry every time I do it - a plot point I glanced over previously, a new appreciation for a character, etc. etc. This time I was especially sensitive to all the death - being a new mom can do that to you, you know? HP is one of the few books I'll reread for the rest of my life. If you haven't done it in awhile, I heartily recommend it for yourself.

Rating: A+++



Roses by Leila Meacham

It's been a few months since I finished this one, but I realized I hadn't blogged about it yet. I picked this up via my sister Lucy's recommendation, and wow, I was not disappointed. It's a multi-generational saga of a plantation and its owners in the South, very like Gone With the Wind, but totally its own engrossing and fascinating entity. It's romantic, and heartbreaking, and dramatic, and everything good you want in a story that takes years to tell and dramatically unfold.


Rating: A-






Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Because I reread HP this year, I decided to pick up another series I love and reread it as well: Anne of Green Gables. It's another one of those that never gets old, no matter how many times I read it. Anne's one of those characters that you fall in love with and that sticks with you through thick and thin, and if you haven't had a chance to read her yet, stop whatever you're doing and do it now.

Rating: A+


















Next up on my list include:

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography -- I just got an email that this is finally on hold for me at my local library! I'm so excited because I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books as a kid, so I'm stoked to find out anything and everything I can in the "adult" version. (Also, I waited through 50 holds in front of me -- FIFTY -- to get it, so it's been a long time coming.)

Kristin Lavransdatter -- I finally placed this on hold at the library, because in the entire city of Lincoln there's only one copy, and I've been trying to decide if I really want to commit to reading it all, but I've decided to take the plunge. After so many good reviews (like this one from Haley at Carrots for Michaelmas) I can't be disappointed, right?

Run You Down by Julia Dahl - sounds intriguing and different from what I normally read, so why not, right? Got the idea from this NPR review.

*****

What are you reading right now? What should be on my list?
HG

Comments

  1. I think I just need to buy Pioneer Girl - I couldn't finish it in the three weeks I had it before I had to return it from the library, and I have a feeling it's something I'd refer back to over and over again... I'm excited to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter is totally worth the occasional re-read! I just picked up the sixth book a couple months ago because I'd only read it once or twice. I'm currently taking my sweet time getting through In This House of Brede.

    Pioneer Girl and Kristin L. are well worth your time, but they're both hard to get through in a library term. Neither one is really difficult, there's just a lot there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried about that exact thing for Pioneer Girl, because there are 50+ people in line behind me to rent it from our library! I'm trying to book it as fast as I can though. Hopefully I make some good progress this weekend. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)