7QT#46: GoT, bluegrass, and Mindy Kaling

I don't have a lot to say this week but...that's never stopped me from blogging before! How about a quick takes post? What say you?

1.
I finished A Dance With Dragons (the final released installment of A Song of Ice and Fire, the Game of Thrones series) this week. It left a weirdly gaping hole in my life because I've been reading the 5 books for the last 2 solid months, so it feels weird to not have another one to read. Plus the series isn't finished! I know, I know I'm late to the game but it is very strange not knowing the ending of a bazillion characters and also not know when I'm going to know their endings -- because there's still no release date in sight. 

It's like if the final Harry Potter book wasn't released for 3 or 4 years after book 6, but J.K. kept pushing the release date back for no apparent reason. Except with like, a lot more gore and, umm, non-kid-friendly scenes thrown in. Also a lot more pages.

2.
Because it was on my list from last year, and I got around to putting it on hold at the library, I finally got a copy of Primates of Park Avenue by Wednesday Martin. 


In short summary, it's a woman's experience moving to the Upper East Side in Manhattan and her attempts to understand motherhood, women, and the social expectations in the richest part of the richest city in the world.

Let me tell you, this book is CRAZY. I knew the Upper East Side was like, a rich place but until this book I didn't know to what extent. Her experiences are almost unbelievable and I've been super enjoying it. I highly recommend it if you're looking to feel inadequate about how non-put-together you are.

Also on a whim I looked up some apartments on the Upper East Side and this one's my favorite. It's only $9,000 a month. For a TWO-BEDROOM APARTMENT. Guys. The sticker shock. I just can't.

3.

Right now, this cutie pie is taking a nap. We're desperately holding onto two naps a day, even though the chances of those two naps actually happening dwindles more and more every day. Lots of times it's more like: put her in the crib, hear her talking to her animal friends/throwing her pillow on the ground/random screaming for half an hour to maybe longer finished by finally falling asleep. Repeat each day at 10:45 and 3:30. 

I am going to be really really sad when she goes to one nap.

Like, guys. How am I going to get anything done?? I WON'T. Oh well.

4.
This article from the New Yorker perfectly explains why I'm seriously in love with Mindy Kaling's show, The Mindy Project. She's willing to break norms and really talk about things that are sometimes uncomfortable and hard to portray on TV.


If you don't watch her show, I highly recommend it! It's quirky, funny, loud, and everything you'd expect from a Kaling show. She's one of my all-time favorite celebrities and will continue to be so for a long time if she keeps genius like this up. :)

5.
This is the song on repeat for me this morning:


Summer Camp by the Infamous Stringdusters -- here on Spotify if you're curious!

Sometimes I just really love bluegrass, what can I say? Also first time I've ever seen a lead singer who's a bassist so that's cool.

6.
And another link for you. 


Long but 100% worth the read. I promise.

7.
Welp. I thought I would have 7 takes but...nope, just 6 for you today. Pray for babies today (and all days)! Head over to Kelly's for more!
HG

Comments

  1. Daycare transitioned Luke to only one nap when he was about 11 months. At daycare he only sleeps an hour or so (which is why he is EXHAUSTED by 7pm) because at home he always sleeps from around 12:30-2:30 .. sometimes 3 hours :) I wish you luck... the best naps are the longest naps! (Especially for Work-at-home-mamas like you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, Kate has that problem when she's anywhere but home too. Hard to take when you're used to so much sleep! I'm hoping the two naps last for a niiiice long while. :)

      Delete
  2. I must say... I LOVE reading your blog. It takes me back to high school and reminds me of reading your entries in the 'traveling notebook'. I was never very good at putting my life and feelings on paper (as you well know), but you truly have a gift. Thank you for sharing parts of your life with us. <3 - Bridget H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Bridget! I get a lot of enjoyment out of writing it so I'm glad you enjoy reading it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)