Baby quilt #2

After the hectic-ness of moving and the fact that this baby's pregnancy is going by super fast, I finally got around to starting on the baby quilt this last weekend (with tons and tons of help from David). With 2 months left to go. I was a lot behind compared to last time, but whatever.

I started with these inspiration images, via Pinterest as ye crafters do...

left (original source deleted, found on Pinterest)

I knew I wanted something NOT primary colored, since that's what I went with for Kate's quilt. I also knew I wanted a modern vibe, something with big colors and not a lot of piecing to do. (Seriously, the first one we did? I mean, it wasn't my first quilt but holy cow, did I choose a difficult design to piece together. Tiny chevron blocks that criss cross and go opposite directions? Super super hard. For anyone's future reference.) So something not difficult to piece was priority #1.

I loved the look of the left image, but I was afraid if I copied it exactly it'd be too girly - the pink for a boy maybe just put it over the edge, and I couldn't find an acceptable peach color to substitute without ruining the scheme. The top right is nice, but the triangles looked like a lot more math than I wanted to do, and I loved the ombre look of the bottom right but I wanted a little bit more variance on color. Especially because I couldn't pick just one color to do variants of that wasn't particularly gender neutral but wasn't too far in one camp or the other.

So I shook my butt over to Joann, browsed the aisles for way too long and changed my mind 3 more times while I was there, and came out with a plan. (And, as it turns out, 3 yards too many of fabric, but it was only $2/yard so I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere.)

And voila!



After all the boring prep work - prewashing the fabric, ironing and trimming. cutting out pieces, re-ironing after cutting the pieces, etc. etc. (seriously, so much not-fun work before you get to something that resembles a quilt), I pieced together the 6 blocks (20"x20" squares, if you're curious, so the total will be a 40"x60" quilt) and then put David to work.

I had him iron the back seams and then pin all the layers together, and hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will get to start actually quilting!

I have a new quilting attachment for my sewing machine that has yet to be tested, and not yet a clear decision of what sort of pattern I'm going for when it comes to doing the quilting, but I'm excited. It helps that the majority of this project so far took not a lot of time, so my motivation for the project is still high.

I also haven't decided what to do when it comes to binding. I want to try my hand at making my own, and possibly doing it by hand, and also possibly adding some pattern in that way? We'll see. As you can tell, most of these projects I do piece by piece and try not to plan out, because I end up changing my mind so many times in the process anyway. It also keeps it interesting in an otherwise somewhat mundane process.

Next time I post about this it will (crossing my fingers) be done and you'll get to see the finished project! Thanks for listening to my craft rambling - it makes it all worthwhile, right? :)
HG

3 comments:

  1. Love the colors! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot!!! And the quilting will add so much I can't wait to see it finished. This makes me wanna abandon my peg dolls and do more quilting! I have made my own binding and it wasn't that hard. There are some cool tricks that I found on YouTube. Including bindings that aren't hand sewn down which seemed like a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot!!! And the quilting will add so much I can't wait to see it finished. This makes me wanna abandon my peg dolls and do more quilting! I have made my own binding and it wasn't that hard. There are some cool tricks that I found on YouTube. Including bindings that aren't hand sewn down which seemed like a good idea

    ReplyDelete