Felix Joseph, five months





My sweet, neglected third baby. I promise I love you as much as I loved your sisters back when I'd religiously write them blog posts on time and consistently -- I just have much, much less free time with you around.

Five months is the sweetest baby age. Looking back on Cora at five months and Kitty at five months, they're actually somewhat vivid memories in my mind! Which is hard to believe because most of their babyhoods are a mushy blur in my brain space. But five month is SO sweet and so easy (most of the time) that I have actual memories from back then. Crazy right?

Read on down the post to see the pictures I took at 3 months and 4 months, although I (obviously) didn't get around to writing blog posts about 'em.

Age: 5 months

Weight: 17 lbs via the home scale, have to wait for 6 months for the offish one, he was 15 lbs 5 oz at the 4 month checkup

Height: 25"? who knows, man

Size: He's wearing a lot of 6 months, a few 9 months, and we're streeeetching to squeeze him into any hanging-on 3 months. It's weird because I think he's my first baby to experience a change of season necessitating new clothes before he grows out of that season's size (if that makes sense). So I have some outfits that purportedly still fit him but it's too chilly to put him in them!

Nicknames: Bubby and Duddy are what I call him most of the time -- for not being a real nickname person before him, Felix has brought out the insane baby-talk and nicknames in me.

Firsts this month: rolling both directions wherever he wants, whenever he wants; grabbing anything he can; big belly laughs; being the cutest! (not true, he was always the cutest!)

Other notes:
-- As previously stated, 5 months is a golden baby age. Felix is so happy to just squeeze into his Bumbo on the table and watch his sisters, or sit on my lap and watch them play outside. He can get impatient when hungry but most other times he's happy and pleasant and a serious smiley baby.
-- Sleep has been a little up and down for him the last few months. With the schedule of school pickup to work around, it's harder to get him a good day's worth of naps than I'd like. Most days he wakes around 7:00, naps at 9:00 until 10:30-11, naps again at 1:00 when Cora does (praise Jesus for double naps), and then the hours of 2:30-7:00 are rough. He seems too young to be a two-nap baby but trying to get him down for a catnap at 4:00 is nearly impossible. Most days I don't even try anymore, but sometimes he'll fall asleep in the carseat on the way home from getting Kitty at school and that helps with the witching hour. If he doesn't, bedtime is around 6:30 which...I don't hate.
-- Nighttimes are pretty okay -- sometimes he realizes an hour into bed that he's still hungry! and he wakes up to feed again, but then sleeps through the night most nights so I really cannot complain at all. We did the whole sleep-training-shebang when he was starting to wake up 5 times in the middle of the night to just grin at me and not eat at all, and it was rough (when isn't it?) but worth it 800% (when isn't it? haha).
-- I'm immensely enjoying dressing a boy this go-around. I got a lot of really cute second hand stuff at a consignment sale, and have been subsequently purging a lot of baby girl stuff I didn't love. Can't keep it all! We're down to one tub of 0-12 month stuff, one tub 18m-3T stuff in girls, which is pretty good if you ask me.
-- With Kitty in school now and the germ exposure heightened in the Gokie house by a factor of 10, poor Felix has had his fair share of colds. We've had the cold mist humidifier on in his room for the past two months solid, basically. I'm looking forward to his 6 month appointment so he can get the flu shot (everyone should get the flu shot!!!!).
-- I'm in fear every day that he's going to start crawling, since he's figured out how to roll wherever he wants, so I'm desperately fake-babyproofing but really I need to buckle down and do it soon. The whole "basement is a construction zone" is not great news in that department.

Baby pics!!!









Comments