Summer summer summertime

Ahh, summer. The time of year where, once you're an adult, it's just miserably hot (in Nebraska) and nothing else really changes about your day-to-day schedule.

Usually we have some big event to look forward to in the summer -- in the past couple years it's been vacation, the birth of one our kids, moving, a family wedding -- but this year we don't have hardly anything planned. No vacations, not moving, just a lot of relaxing and hopefully some house projects with nonexistent deadlines except ones we impose on ourselves.




Last weekend we spent some time outside in the heat and even though it wasn't long, it was great to just be at home, together, doing a whole lot of nothing. Kate thought it was the funnest thing ever, and it reminded me how easy she is to please at this age. All of us hanging out together, David pulling weeds, me lounging and reading, and Cora hanging out in the pack-n-play -- that's all she wants. It's easy to fill up time with things that have us going here and there, but I want to enjoy and appreciate more these times we have just being together as a little family. 

(Also, I can't decide if I like Spindrift as much as La Croix. It was at Costco and worth a try once but I miss my fancy La Croix flavors.)



Cora continues to be just about the happiest baby on the entire planet -- except when she's tired. And even then you can usually crack a smile out of her if you make goofy enough faces and persist in your attempts to make her laugh. She turned 6 months old yesterday and we haven't done pictures yet but it's hard to believe she's been in our lives for 6 months. I'll blink and it'll be December and her babyhood will be over. I'm trying to soak in her baby smell and her sleepy cuddles more and more, because I realize how rare they are in the long scheme of time.


Going to Target for an escape from the house has become more of a chore and less relaxing with the addition of two kids in a cart, now that Cora is just freaking way too heavy to keep her in the newborn car seat for more than just a car ride. (I think I strained my knee the other day lifting her into our car. She is a chunk.) But it is nicely air conditioned and there's nothing quite like an iced coffee when it's 100° out. Kate always wants "just one dwink of coffee?" and wants to say hi to every person we come across, which is somewhat horrifying for introverted me. Luckily she diffuses most social interactions because she's so talkative and willing to make conversation with anyone and everyone.

As for house projects, we're in the planning stages of garden beds now that the paint is finished at the front of the house: thinking something like this is what we're going to go with, maybe with a seat, maybe not. We still haven't found a good replacement sideboard/buffet (Craigslist is a dearth of stuff! there is nothing new on there and I stalk it ALL THE TIME), and I have dreams of shiplaping our living room like this (David's laughing while he reads this but it's gonna happen!).

We might head to the zoo for Father's Day this weekend, or try to start on the garden beds, depending on how hot it's going to be for both activities...haha.

How's your summer?
HG

Comments

  1. CORA'S THIGHS!! Such a chunk, I love it!

    I feel like the lamest person because I just can't get on board with the sparkling water. I want to like it, I really do. But I'm always like "eh" when I try a new flavor. Are there any flavors that are just impossible to hate?? Or am I just gonna be that weirdo who would rather drink plain water?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)