7QT: summer's almost over?

GAH. Guys, it's been a hot minute since I posted anything here that didn't take me three weeks to write while holding a baby on my lap. Felix is down for a nap and I'm squeezing in a quick takes post because it's been too long!

1.
I think I blinked and June and July disappeared. We're nearing the beginning of school (August 14! WHAT) which means for the first time in the Gokie household we're going to 1) have a kid in school and 2) have an outside schedule we're dictated towards. I can't believe either is actually going to happen. I'm surprisingly not that emotional about it yet, mostly because we've had a rash of terrible behavior ahem familial discord lately, but as the days slip by I'm mourning this period of life ending.


More than anything, I think Cora is going to miss her built in playmate all-day-every-day. I'm hoping for a smooth transition but anticipating the opposite. We'll see how it goes! Pray for us all, would you?

2.
I really am working on finishing up our kitchen renovation post. It's been more than a year since my last installment (find it here!) and it's just time. We've got a few little things left to do (I mean, who doesn't on home renovation stuff?) but I'm calling it "done" so I need a 4 hour window to clean & photograph the whole room and then it'll be done! (That might be more difficult to find than I think.)

I plan on including a real-cost breakdown and sources of what we used throughout the space, and I'd love to answer any questions you might have about the whole process so HMU in the comments if you think of anything!

3.
The girls spent last weekend at the grandparents' house so we had some just-mama-and-dada-and-Felix time and man, did he relish that! I think the quiet inside the house without the two girls who constantly sing kind of freaked him out, but we got to eat dinner out in peace, work on a freelance project at Starbucks two mornings in a row, and generally get a lot of things done without the ragamuffins running around.



We even made it to happy hour at a place right in front of our parish and it was surprisingly cheap so we will definitely be back!

4.
I can't write a post these days without including a whole bunch of unsolicited baby pics. Felix is just SO cute and SO smiley these days, I'm constantly whipping out my phone to capture yet another heartbreaking smile.




5.
My notes for this section were titled "favorite recent Amazon purchases even though Amazon is the worst" which is really how I feel (JEFF BEZOS PAY YOUR WORKERS A LIVING WAGE AND GIVE AWAY YOUR MONEY BECAUSE YOU COULD NEVER SPEND IT ALL YOU ABSOLUTE DWEEB) and even saying that I feel it necessary to share these because they're so good. The links below are affiliate -- just FYI.

First, this incredibly fast-charging USB wall charger and iPhone charging cable. They're SO much faster even than the Apple-supplied ones, it's kind of crazy.

Second, this dog fur brush. Dude, it's incredible how much hair comes off of Murphy when I use it. And you can do it multiple days in a row and STILL get an insane amount of fur. Highly recommend if you have a dog of any sort! Plus it's cheaper now than when I bought it.

Third, this clip-on chargeable mini fan. I bought it mostly because I anticipated Felix staying in his car seat during Kitty's swim lessons for two weeks, and he gets SO SWEATY that I was certain he'd need it. He did really like it while asleep (doubles as a sort of sound machine!) but then decided he didn't want to sleep in his car seat during lessons. You win some, you lose some. I'm still glad to have purchased it because it's rechargeable (no batteries, yay!) and can really move around and clip on almost anything.

6.
We're headed next week to Colorado for a family vacation with my side of the family, and I think it's the first time we're all going to be on vacation together since Kitty was a baby (minus a small trip last year for my dad's birthday to McCook). The girls are very excited, we're renting a van (I'm pretty stoked about that), and I'm looking forward to drinking delicious Colorado beer and being outside without sweating my face off (although to be fair, the last few days here in Omaha have been very nice).

The last time was when Kitty was this small! can you believe it?

I'm packing a bunch of snacks and activity bags and hoping that potty training Cora the weekend before we leave isn't a huge regret. (grimace emoji)

7.

Fun thing to leave you with: the latest Twitter trend is this AIPortraits thing, which uses an AI program to paint you in a portrait based on a photo you upload. It's fun - and helps complete my dream to someday really have someone paint a portrait of me. I think they did an accurate job with me! (Although now the website says it's down? hopefully they'll fix it and have it back up!)

Head to Kelly's for more quick-takers!
HG

Comments

  1. Oooo Where was the Happy Hour place? We're always looking for new places to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timber Wood Fire Bistro! It's in Countryside Village. Some of their entrees were crazy $$$ but the happy hour prices were nice for what feels like a fancy place. :)

      Delete
  2. We always put a potty in the back of our van for emergencies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)