7QT: SPRING

Joining with Kelly for some SPRING quick takes!

1.
I put "spring" in all caps because GUYS SPRING IS FINALLY FINALLY HERE AND I AM SO GRATEFUL. I have never anticipated spring as much as I have this year -- probably because we had more than twice the average snowfall/cold days compared to a normal Nebraska winter -- but it's here and I'm so, so happy about it.


Honestly all of us are really happy about being able to be outside without 18 layers and multiple crying fits because snow got in our hands/eyes/boots/what have you. Soaked rainboots is much preferable.

2.
Since I basically sat on my butt for the last 12 weeks because we either had a) multiple feet of snow on the ground, b) it was way too cold, or c) the weather was a little warmer but the ground itself was covered with dangerously slippery ice, I'm trying to get in a little more activity before baby gets here and taking daily walks. I think it's probably mostly because this is baby 3 but I have since discovered that I can't really walk more than 15 minutes at a time without being stopped by (what feel like intense to me) Braxton Hicks contractions. Which is humbling, to say the least. Every time I've walked this week they've gotten really bad when I'm farthest from our house, so I'm forced to keep walking, and so I've pretended to stop and take selfies or pictures of something with my phone while inwardly wincing and trying to not sit down on the ground in the middle of the street to get them to stop. I'm not sure why choosing to take a selfie seems better in the moment than just stopping walking for no reason? But my brain thinks so, so I'm going with it for now.


Most of the selfies involve a somewhat pained expression on my face so I'll save those just for my own personal amusement.

3.
Amazon links forthcoming, thanks for clicking through and supporting my blog!
I try not to go too overboard with Easter basket gifts, but this year I've been kind of ahead of the game so I have these two Melissa and Doug toys already ready for the girls: a big world map floor puzzle for Kitty and a lacing card game for Cora. I'm on the hunt for some sunglasses that will fit both of them (if you have any recommendations let me know!).

I've had some Calico Critters in my Amazon cart for awhile as well as these two Easter books: The Easter Egg by Jan Brett and The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by DuBose Heyward. We have almost zero Easter/Lent themed books so gotta start somewhere, right?

4.

First off: CORA. She was so LITTLE and SOOO cranky that day but absolutely the darlingest. I cannot wait to sling this new little baby.

Okay anyway. Somehow, miraculously!, my favorite favorite babywearing apparatus, Wildbird ring slings, are having their twice-yearly sale and there are still some in stock! There are only a few options left because they're clearing inventory before they release their spring/summer line, but the ones that are left are super cute! If you've ever seen me post pictures babywearing, I'm usually wearing one of their slings. Wonderful company -- all handmade slings in the US, all work-from-home mama seamstresses -- and the products are incredible. I've talked it before but newborns are tricky to learn on, so don't give up if they seem hard at first!

5.
My new favorite podcast is David Tennant Does A Podcast -- his interview skills are really impressive, for someone who's an actor, and the guests are incredible (although full disclosure, I find Jon Hamm rather snore-inducing). His interviews with Olivia Coleman and Jodie Whittaker and Jennifer Garner all have me either in stitches or learning something really new. (Definitely some episodes NSF kid ears, rather casual cursing throughout if you're sensitive to that stuff.)

6.

This little lady is growing into all of the sass, all of the times. She has such a quirky, demanding personality and it's definitely shining more and more as she can learn to express herself better and her vocabulary expands. It's so funny and so entertaining, and she's still at the sweet stage where she's trying to please us about 80% of the time, so I'm embracing it before the big upheaval of new baby.

7.

Ahh, this one. We've had some power struggles lately, but she waffles between being SO HELPFUL and SO NAUGHTY and we're still trying to find a good balance between the two...sigh. She's as strong-willed as a 4 year old can be, but definitely a people-pleaser at the same time. All of a sudden she's growing out of almost everything she wears (right in time for the season change) and this new Primary raincoat is as cute as I imagined. She's still very very excited for the baby to get here but can't decide if she'd rather have a little sister or a little brother -- it changes almost every time you ask her.

Well, that's about it for me this week. As always thanks for reading! And head over to Kelly's for some other quick takers this week!
HG


Comments

  1. I've had good luck finding kids' sunglasses at Children's Place, plus they have sales really often so you can get them really cheap (which is necessary because they get lost or broken so quickly!). And I had my eye on Wildbird slings but then the Lillebaby ones went on sale and I couldn't pass up $34 for a sling that's usually $97!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never remember to check Children's Place but gold mine, $2.78 for a pair of kids sunglasses is exactly my budget! Thank you for the reminder!!

      Delete
  2. Yay spring! Where have you had luck finding rainboots for the girls? My Sophia needs a new pair and I'm having the hardest time finding something cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After some experimenting with Carters/Zulily/other brand ones, I found a pair on Amazon that I'm just going to keep re-buying in every size in black so they can be passed around because they seem to last so, so well! They're $20 and LONECONE brand. They come in a few different colors but the black is cute and shiny. :)

      Delete
  3. Target dollar section. Buy your kids 3 pairs each. I keep one pair always in the car for each of them. They're my favorite .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)