Spring has sprung!

Finally!



I forget how cramped and crabby such a freaking extended winter makes me until I'm tempted with warm weather and then denied it by another snowstorm. After our 4th second winter, it seems like it's finally on the warm side and here to stay, and we are all overjoyed.

Every afternoon after naps, Kate asks to go outside and play, and Cora bangs on the backdoor which is her way of expressing the same thing in fewer words. I've tried to be as obliging as I can, even with work deadlines, and it's made for good naps and easy bedtimes and happy girls all around.

I'm dreaming of the day (soon, hopefully!) where they're big enough that I can shove them out the back door, and watch them from inside while I work or clean or what have you. Cora is still a little too dependent, but we'll get there hopefully by this fall (with Kate's supervision and VERY LOUD ALERT WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG) and I'm pumped.


Cora's personality is really starting to shine out of her nonverbal personhood, and it's so funny to watch the differences between her and Kate. She is a very determined little person, very independent, and very opinionated. She's easily amused, much more so than K was at this age -- she's happy to sit and play with toys uninterrupted for a long time, or "read" books to herself, or stare out the window at her squirrels.

Watching the squirrels outside our window is her all-time favorite thing to do. I can plop her on the couch, and she'll stand there for hours, saying "teewuh!" (squirrel) and "beeuh!" (birdie) and "tuh!" (truck/car/any type of vehicle) as they pass by. She could be in the midst of the biggest tantrum but if I suggest watching squirrels, she instantly cheers up and points toward the window.



She's got other big feelings, as little toddlers do -- one you may have already seen on Instagram, but it's worth repeating here because of how much I love this photo of her.


This was taken right after Kate was told she could run an errand with dada, and I told Cora she had to stay home. So much sadness! It was one of those times where it's really hard not to laugh because they're being so much cuter than they realize, but their emotions are totally valid so you probably shouldn't laugh? Aka the sweet spot of parenting.


Kate's been at a really ornery stage lately, and I'm ready for her growth spurt or whatever it is to be over so we can return to a somewhat peaceful existence. (I mean, relatively peaceful, of course.) It's a lot of talking back, and purposefully hitting Cora, and disobeying, and I know it's all part of the package but it's exhausting. Last week was extremely long and the week before was even worse, but so far this week it looks like we might be on the upswing and I'm extremely grateful.

I love her to death, but she's exhausting.

She's very sweet when she chooses to be. She loves helping with chores, cleaning the table, putting her dishes away, cleaning up her toys (when SHE wants to), and all of that is great. She's developed a true love of books, and her favorite time every week is library storytime and getting new library books. (Okay, we go more like every other week, but you get it.)

The amount of words that come out of her on a daily basis are indescribable. I kind of want to know how many words a day she says, but I also don't for two reasons. One, it wouldn't be the 8 million it feels like, and any number less than that would feel like a disappointment. Two, if I knew how much it actually was, I'd multiply it by two and have a panic attack thinking of when Cora can also talk this much. I need a nap just thinking about it.

Luckily, she still takes a nap every day, or at least has quiet time in her room, so I get a break from the incessant talking for two hours every afternoon. And I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so that's a relief.


Hope your week is full of fresh air, growing green things, and peaceful days.
HG

Comments