things I bought this year that would make good Christmas gifts


I've read approximately 500 gift guides by this point and it's not even December BUT -- I couldn't resist adding my own because yeah, these are things we've actually bought and used and truly, actually, 100% recommend. 

I'm not assuming you will buy anything from this list but it might help you come up with some ideas for all the people on your Christmas lists! If not, enjoy me rambling ahead anyway!

popcorn popper -- $16 (amazon link)

If you have a popcorn enthusiast in your family -- like to my level, where popcorn is a snack almost every night -- you need to get them this super easy microwave popcorn popper. When my old turntable popcorn maker crapped out (that we got as a wedding gift, thanks Avilans!), I was looking for something smaller to store and this one collapses in on itself. I figured it was worth the $16 experiment. I've used it approximately 200 times since then and I love it. Sure, I completely ignore the instructions that say not to add any oil because otherwise it comes out too flavorless but it doesn't seem to be hurting the integrity at all. And it's dishwasher safe! 

My popcorn recipe: I put a couple small spoonfuls of coconut oil on the bottom of this container, dump in popcorn kernels, put the lid on, and microwave for like 3-4 minutes -- stopping when it either gets full or goes a couple seconds between pops. Add salt. Incredibly good popcorn for very minimum effort.

anker charging cord 2 pack & dual USB port -- $25 (but usually go cheaper) and $11 (amazon links)

These charging cords and dual USB ports are miles and away better than the extremely low-quality ones that come with your iPhone. First of all, the length is completely necessary so the minimum I'd recommend is a 6 ft. cord. It's an adequate length for almost all instances -- in your car, on your nightstand, etc. Combined with the fast charging Anker USB port and you can charge your phone in almost half the time (or faster!) than regularly. 

CosRX acne patches -- $4.50 (ulta)

These things WORK. And they're so cheap. I usually wear one overnight, but you can also put foundation right over them (if I were a person who wears foundation, I'd totally do that, I'm just too incredibly lazy for any makeup besides mascara + undereye cream + brow pencil). 

waterproof Birkenstock sandals -- $45 (birkenstock)

I'm a huge Birks fan, and have been for ages. However, these waterproof ones are SO GOOD. So infinitely better than stupid flip flops (will never ever voluntarily wear flip flops again after owning these). 100% waterproof and so comfy. Mine are wearing thin after basically wearing them every day this year when playing outside with the kids, and I hate wearing shoes just in general so you know these are good. ;)

Denali lap blankets -- $60-$90 but 25% off for Cyber Monday today (denali)

These cozy blankets are absolutely the best lap blankets you can buy. They're the perfect weight, they wash like a dream, and they're super warm without being TOO warm (there are blankets that are too warm, yes!). Plus they're a small American company, what's not to love? 

smartwool kids socks -- $9-$10 (moosejaw)

I was really tired of the kids' feet always staying freezing cold after playing out in the snow. I finally broke down and got some smartwool for them (after loving smartwool for myself for years!) and they're so cute and their little toesies stay super warm. Moosejaw is a great resource but I'm sure you can also find them at Backcountry and other local places!

Jackbox party games -- ~$20 depending on where you buy them, but on sale for Cyber Monday (jackbox)

Okay, this is somewhat out of the box but in 2020, Jackbox games have been really fun for us to play online with friends and family. They're basically online versions of classic games (trivia, pictionary, etc.) that you play with your phone. You can buy them for most game systems AND for computers (Mac and PC alike, you just need a Steam account) and they're super, super fun. Drawful is really great (basically online pictionary) and we also enjoy Trivia Murder Party. 

any Charles Wysocki puzzle -- around $20 usually (amazon)

There is something so incredibly hygge and comforting about doing a puzzle in the winter hours. I really find the Charles Wysocki ones so beautiful, so I try to find those first if we need a new one (good quality and beautiful illustrations). It's a little harder to do one this year for us since Felix is at a destructive age so I'm considering getting one of these puzzle tables (or trying to DIY one somehow) to keep his hands out. Anyway! Puzzles! Do them! While away the winter hours!

Harry Potter illustrated editions -- $20-$100 if you buy in a set (bookshop)

Even Costco has these Harry Potter illustrated editions now so if you haven't seen them yet I don't know what to tell you... but they are truly actually worth the money if you want to read HP with your kids or admire them on your shelf. The illustrations are lovely, the binding and page quality is really good, and you can get them all over! Costco, Amazon, Target, Bookshop like linked above, you name it and they probably sell them. We're in book 2 right now as a family so the kids are getting 3 and 4 from Santa this year. 

charcoal deodorizing bags -- $12 (amazon)

This is going to fall under a very practical gift idea, but I honestly don't know what I'd do without my set. If you have small children and a bathroom, or don't take the trash out every night, GET THESE. We have ones in those places plus everyone's closets for shoe smell, the car for random odors, and bedrooms. I don't know how they work but they truly cut down on the smells everywhere. You have to put them in the sun once a month to re-activate the charcoal, I guess? and then they're like new again. Love love love love mine. They truly saved my stomach during Felix's pregnancy and they save me the annoyance of emptying the trash too often now. Can't recommend enough!

agricola -- $53 right now, but the price fluctuates a lot (amazon)

It wouldn't be an accurate list from the Gokie household without a board game of some sort, would it? This is a board game for someone who loves Catan or Ticket to Ride and wants the next -- stressful -- step up. I got it for David's birthday after having it in the wishlist column for multiple years, as it's always one of the games recommended if you search for "competitive 2 player board games" (feel free to add "nerdy" into that search as well). It sounds easy but it is HARD and actually quite fun if you don't mind being stressed the whole time. ;) Definitely recommend.


Okay that's far and enough away blabbing about gift ideas from me today. Sorry that there's been basically radio silence from me on the blog lately, I just haven't had the time with homeschooling and freelance and regular work and life stuff on top of that. I hope to get back into it a little more...someday. :)

thanks for being here, friends!

Comments

  1. Intrigued by these charcoal bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know what I'd do without them! They sound "woo-woo" and I was skeptical but I looooove them.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea when i read like this blog on my life last time. Very fantastic each post. As i only just stumbled and very happy upon your current articles posts on your site and Anyways I’ll end up following with your website and even I hope one write-up yet again in the near future. Thank you so much this marvelous post share with us. Very best of luck buddy. homework help cpm - college essay help - homework help math - help with my assignment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)