7QT: bleak midwinter edition

Well, I started this post last week and it definitely didn't get finished for a solid week, so I'm just going with it. Linking up with Kelly for quick takes (a day early)!

1.
Valentine's Day was a rather low-key affair this year for us. The girls and I decorated cupcakes on Galentine's Day, and then I spent Valentine's evening getting ahead on a freelance project and came home with Chik-Fil-A and David and I continued our rewatch of Brooklyn Nine Nine. SO GOOD. Such an underrated show.

David bought me a wireless charger and a beautiful pink orchid which I will surely kill quickly, but for the month or two they last they are so, so worth it. (Especially since a plant like that is almost always just the same amount of money as a couple dozen roses, which last like a week.) He also got some Trader Joe's chocolate goodies and I'm eating them way too quickly, duh. #pregnant.

cupcake enthusiasts!
2.
The Rifle Paper Company line at Keds are all on sale right now, and they are SO frickin' cute. I got myself this pair because my $14 slip-on tennies from Target that lasted me 3 years are finally gross enough to throw out, and I figured these might class up my act just a tiny bit. Also, how had I never realized that the Keds slogan is "Ladies First Since 1916"?#downwiththepatriarchy. They came in the mail and I'm forcing myself to wait to wear them until we're done with this neverending winter because I want them to stay nice.

3.

If you follow me on Instagram, I've been blabbing for like the last two weeks about this gorgeous Leanne Ford lamp I was finally able to grab from Target. I have been drooling over her collection since Emily Henderson previewed it way back when, and tried a bunch of ways to finally get one (out of stock online, out of stock in my normal stores, blah blah blah) and finally was able to pick one up last Wednesday and set it up the other day ~ IT'S SO PRETTY. I think it was predestined to live against my green kitchen accent wall, so I've got to shuffle a few things around so it can fit in there, at least for awhile. (It coordinates really well with the cane chairs and over the sink light we have, without being too matchy-matchy.) But I also think it'll match our basement once we get going on that, so it might migrate down there eventually.

They're supposedly getting restocked online a few times, but if you want one I'd grab one quickly. She also has some gorgeous pendant lights like this one and this one.

4.
Zillow is my favorite most old-person and pregnancy insomnia guilty pleasure. Right now I've been paging through houses in Portland, not for any real specific reason except it seems like a beautiful place to live, one that normally doesn't have as much cold weather and freezing temperatures as we've had this winter. (I'm so, so, SO tired of cold.)

source

This one
is absolutely gorgeous, and this one (shown above! would you look at that green??) would fulfill my secret dream to quit my job and cultivate a cut flower garden and probably raise some chickens and traipse freely through the woods in my hand-sewn cotton prairie dress and long plait swinging behind me. I'm just speculating, of course.

5.
I've been creating baby registries on Amazon and Target to get the fulfillment discount (mom hack!) and realizing that most of the things I want for this baby are more baby carriers...which aren't for sale on either of those websites. haha.


I've kind of fallen in love with this Sakura Bloom Scout carrier but it is $$$. I'm intrigued by their onbuhimo (which I can never spell right without looking it up, haha) because I admit that my least favorite part of the structured carriers I've tried is the dang waist buckle pinching and accentuating the most unflattering part of a postpartum body. But it definitely seems like a carrier for a bigger baby (says 6+ months) so I've got awhile before I decide.


As always, even when I'm not pregnant I'm dreaming of re-expanding my Wildbird sling collection. It's a tried and true obsession by this point. My super floppy Dove is on loan to a friend and I'm trying to wait until their winter sale to maybe try a new modal and another color, we'll see. I had 4 at one point with Cora and sold them all to fund other things, and now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't...ah well. Their Canary and Warbler colors are my two favorites right now.

6.
The biggest news at our house right now is that the girls are officially sharing a room! We grabbed them a Kura bunk bed at IKEA last weekend, and it has really gone swimmingly. I had a full month of nap and sleep battles blacked out in my mental calendar, and the first 4 days have gone so well that maybe I don't need to be so trepidatious? But I'm probably jinxing about it by blogging/bragging so watch for me to eat my words in a few days.


Each night so far has involved 30-60 minutes of giggling and talking and such before they finally fall asleep, usually with David going in a couple times to tell them to be quiet, but I expected that. They're waking up earlier than they used to by about an hour, but so far staying in their room until their OK to Wake clock turns green (after the first morning, when Cora came barreling out of her room and we could hear Kitty yelling after her "NOOOO CORA!!!!" hahaha) so yes, I'm pleased. Ready for baby's arrival now for real!

Naps have been sporadic for Kitty for the last two months, so we've switched her to mandatory quiet time in our bed during naps with optional books to read, and since they're not sleeping quite as much at night she's back to napping. We'll see if she gives it up all the way before kindergarten next year.



7.
I'm finally in the third trimester (due date May 4, so I'm 30 weeks this weekend) and the fatigue and discomfort have started. I'm sleeping better at night, which is weird? But this babe is SO ACTIVE that I feel like they sleep 2 hours a day? I know that's not true but wow, lots of kicking. Feels like more than Cora, but who knows.

I'm also really hoping it's a girl only because the ONE old wives' tale about gender prediction I believe is that girls "steal your beauty" and my skin and hair have been absolutely h o r r e n d o u s  this time around, so if it turns out to be a boy my faith in the legends will be shattered. Gotta wait quite a while to find out if I was right or not.

Head over to Kelly's tomorrow for more quick takers!
HG

Comments

  1. Sharing a bedroom definitely has its pros and cons! And we LOVE Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! David and I love Hot Rod so it just feels like an alternate-universe Hot Rod that is a lot longer. :)

      Delete
  2. You could try staggering the bedtimes ... that has worked great for us. We had 3 boys in one room for a long time...3 years at least. They get used to it but it's a transition. 100% worth it. We only moved the one because we have another boy and now they share rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea! I'm used to them going to sleep at the same time for my sanity, but maybe when they get a little bigger and need more/less sleep we'll give that a shot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)