quick takes // spring, books, & our house

It's been a few weeks since I blogged about normal goings-on around here, so I thought I'd take a break from the incessant fight-breaking-up I've been doing between the resident 3 year old and 1 year old and blog. (Read: ignore them and make them learn conflict resolution on their own.)

Linking up with Kelly!

1//
We had a couple days of glorious spring weather last week, and the girls and I loved the opportunity to waste witching hour outside waiting for Dada to get home.


I don't remember Kitty being as curious about everything when she first learned to walk, but man -- Cora loves to rub her hands in the dirt, pick up sticks, try to work Dad's tools, you name it and she wants to get into it. It's real cute and exhausting. I probably need to get her some cute outside boots to match Kate's because she just wants to be everywhere, doing everything!

Right now there's 2 inches of snow on the ground so I'm dreaming of spring. This endless freaking winter needs to end.

2//

Homemade pizza has been on rotation for dinner in the last few weeks. As long as I have my ish together, it takes 7 minutes to prep the dough an hour before dinner, and 3 minutes for toppings, so it's pretty darn easy as dinners go. (Not that we literally EVER make anything complicated, but I think people get unnecessarily scared of homemade pizza. It's so easy!)

My current favorite toppings are Costco pesto sauce & pepperoni. David only tolerates pesto, so we try to switch off between that and regular tomato sauce.

I'm really bad at meal planning but this almost always sounds good, and a salad is an easy side to go along with it. (We actually eat a salad for dinner almost every night now -- who are we??? -- because the romaine at Costco is so cheap.)

3//

Most times our house is clean. Because it majorly stresses me out and distracts me from my work when it's a mess, so then nothing gets done because I either have to stop and clean it all, or think about it the whole time I'm working, which is beneficial for nobody.

But while I'm working the above is what happens. I'm not entirely sure how that's any fun, but apparently it is?

4//
Quick book reviews: (and Amazon links ahead)

The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen: compelling, checks one of my 2018 reading goals as a recent Pulitzer winner, still has me thinking about it a week after finishing it. Definitely worth a read (but beware of some vulgarity if you're not into that sorta thing).

Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? by Alyssa Mastromonaco: quick little memoir by the former deputy chief of staff under Obama. Charming and quite funny at times, but with a dose of realism about women in the workplace that was really eye-opening. I liked this, didn't love it. If you like political insight a la The West Wing / House of Cards / plus humor, you'll like the stuff in here.

Currently reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. I only have like 4 days until it's due back at the library (with no renewals eeeek) so I am hoping to finish before then! Super compelling already.


5//

There are a few things about this house that I extremely dislike. This beautiful joinery between our main bath and the wood floor in the hallway is NOT one of them. You probably can't tell from the photo but they are exactly the same level and they fit together sooooo beautifully, it's kind of hard to believe.

If we ever reno this bathroom, I think the floors will have to stay just for this very detail because I love it so much.

Also I'm in love with this Essie nail color, mint candy apple. My feet are at least in somewhat-spring-mode.

6//

I finally got some photos hung above my dresser in our bedroom, to replace what I had haphazardly hung there before, and it makes me happy every time I see it.

7//
If you've got a spare 20 minutes to read something fascinating, this piece from Highline (HuffPost) is a fascinating look into the lottery and how a retired couple gamed the system.

How are you spending the weekend? Hoping clear sunny spring skies are in your future. Head to Kelly's for more quick takers!
HG

Comments

  1. I am also so ready for spring, at least weather that I can send the kids outside in and not worry about wheelchairs getting stuck in the snow or dragging in a ton of mud...which, in hindsight probably means I have several months of waiting yet...but! I agree that having the option to spend the witching hour outside is THE BEST and drastically reduces the amount of wine I need to drink during meal prep. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)