around here & advent


Life around here has been simple lately.
We've still been taking it easy (for the most part). Still adjusting to a dad&husband who has cancer.
And yes, it's still weird for me to write that.
I think my brain is stuck in survival mode and it's going to be awhile before the whole situation sets in completely and I feel back to "normal."

Honestly, though, things are great.
If this experience has taught me anything, it's that not much changes even if you're going through a crazy time.
Babies still need to be bathed. Toddlers still need to be disciplined. Laundry still has to be folded and the dog still has to be walked.
There's a great simplicity and order that can be found in those everyday things, and it helps to cling to their rigidity when everything else feels fluid and wobbly.

David is doing really well. Especially for how sick he was.
He's home, and actually back to work (part-time for a little bit) this week, so we're adjusting to that.
House projects have resumed, because why wouldn't they when you've got Gokie blood running through your veins, cancer notwithstanding?



I've been trying to write about this whole thing in a more meaningful way than short blog posts, but I think it's too fresh for me to conceptualize. 
I have lots of thoughts that swirl around, but putting them down on paper doesn't seem to happen the way I want it to. 
I'm going to give it time.

Meanwhile, Advent is here.
I'm taking this opportunity for slower reflection to try and refocus, to find peace throughout the day, to savor the slow moments and take each new day with a small thought towards Him. 
With two wild ones running around, there's not much time for that normally. 
But I'm waiting in anticipation of the baby Jesus coming, and trying to work that into my daily living.
With the craze of October and November, I didn't get any sort of journal or Advent reflection program (like I have in the past). I didn't get my act together with a Jesse tree or devotional Advent calendar. 
But I know He understands.
I know He sees past my frazzled brain and understands that some seasons don't allow for everything you want them to be.
And that's perfectly alright with Him.
I'm taking it one day at a time.
One small prayer at a time.
Praying for all those who are worse off than we are. 
Praying in thanksgiving for all the love we've been shown lately.
Praying for a fruitful Advent and a drawing home for those who need His comfort and love in their lives.
Praying for a forgiving heart, and an outpouring of His love where it's needed most.


I hope you have a blessed and peaceful Advent, and a glorious Christmas. 
Know that if you're reading this, you are in my prayers, small and simple and humble as they are.
Pray for me, too. 
Hannah

Comments

  1. Beautiful post. Adding you and your sweet family to my St. Andrew novena intentions!
    And can I just say that I LOVE you guys resuming the home improvement projects despite it all? People after my own heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God definitely understands! Wednesday is usually my rosary day for you guys (so I remember!), so I've been thinking about y'all a lot, including today (Wednesday!). I can only imagine the thoughts going through your head throughout all of this, and I'm a big fan of journaling. So even if you don't end up sharing on the blog, maybe writing about it just for you in a journal somewhere would help. Glad to hear David is doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing snippets of your life with us. :) You have a beautiful family!
    Be assured of my continued prayers.
    <3 Bridget

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! Check back here for my reply. :)